Cookson Precious Metals Ltd (“the Company”) takes a zero-tolerance approach to modern slavery and human trafficking and we are committed to ensuring that our business operates in a socially responsible manner.
The Company is a subsidiary of Heimerle + Meule GmbH. It is a supplier of products and services to market sectors that utilise precious metals as a part of their operations, most notably jewellery and industrial sectors. The Company acquires and/or supplies products and services to other Heimerle + Meule entities as well as procurement from external suppliers in the UK, Europe and Asia.
The Company is committed to ensure there is no modern slavery or human trafficking in any part of our business, which includes the supply chain servicing the Company. Our Modern Slavery & Human Trafficking Policy reflects the zero-tolerance we expect of our employees and supply chain partners. This forms part of our overall Code of Conduct, which underpins our commitment to strive for the highest standards of ethics and integrity in all of our business relationships.
This requires the development of effective systems, controls and operating policies to ensure modern slavery and human trafficking does not take place anywhere within transactions and relationships within the Company.
Our supply chains consist of the supply of products and services relating to our trade in market sectors relating to precious metals, as well as general support services to enable the operation of the business; significant examples would be marketing services, courier and mail services.
Ethical Sourcing of Materials:
• We recognise the challenges associated with providing jewellery making materials in a responsible manner.
• We work closely with our suppliers to ensure the products we sell are produced and sourced in the most ethical way possible.
Recycled and Ethically Sourced Precious Metals:
• We are committed to striving towards ensuring that our range of precious metals are either recycled or responsibly sourced.
• Our range of gold and sterling silver sheet, wire, grain and tube is made using 100% recycled silver and/or gold.
• We sell Fairtrade Gold, which is the world’s first independent ethical certification system for gold.
• Our range of fine silver and Britannia silver bullion products are also supplied made from 100% recycled silver.
• Our range of gold and silver wedding ring blanks are made using 100% recycled gold and silver.
• Some of our suppliers are already using recycled metals such as our Art Clay Silver range.
• Currently, 90% of our sterling silver chain is supplied using recycled silver.
• We are working alongside our suppliers of other precious metal goods, such as findings, to be able to offer these ranges using recycled metals. We plan to update this soon.
• As a natural resource, gemstones can be found almost anywhere, it is difficult to keep traceable documentation of their exact source as they are mined, cut and exchanged frequently. However, we are working towards practices to create an open and transparent process about how our gemstones are sourced.
• We ask our suppliers to complete a ‘vendor code of conduct’ which confirms that the gemstones are sourced in a socially responsible manner.
Our suppliers are obligated to operate in full compliance with the laws, rules and regulations imposed by the countries in which they operate.
• Our suppliers are obligated to operate in full compliance with the laws, rules and regulations imposed by the countries in which they operate.
• Cooksongold is committed to selling conflict-free and ethically sourced diamonds. Our range has been purchased from legitimate sources not involved in the funding of conflict, in compliance with United Nations Resolutions and corresponding UK law.
• We guarantee that our diamonds are conflict-free and confirm adherence to the World Diamond Council System of Warranties (SoW) Guidelines.
Supply Chain Code of Practice:
• We ask our suppliers to agree to a code of practice before being able to supply materials and goods to Cooksongold. Our code of practice covers ethical business practices, protecting human rights and responsible sourcing of materials.
The information we collect on our suppliers includes:
• Does the business maintain a membership in any trade organisations including RJC and Signet's SRSP?
• We complete our own searches and financial audits to see whether there are any records of work abuse complaints or financial misconduct.
• Documentation on how their worksite is set up.
• All our suppliers are obligated to operate in full compliance with the laws, rules and regulations imposed by the countries in which they operate.
We utilise a number of methods in order to identify and mitigate risks:
• Provide employees with a clearly stated and comprehensive policy on Modern Slavery.
• Have systems in place to identify, mitigate and monitor the risk of slavery and/or human trafficking in our supply chains. This may include registration to, or following the principles of, particular operating standards or codes of practice. In some cases we may be audited to assess our adherence to various aspects of a particular operating standard.
• To ensure where an issue is identified, there is a robust investigation and if necessary, any rectification is applied to restore adherence to the policy. Included in this is the protection of any whistle blower, where applicable.
This policy has been reviewed and approved by the board of directors on 01 March 2023
© 2023 Cookson Precious Metals Ltd. VAT Registration No. GB161 8062 21. Registered in England no. 2775187. Registered Office: 59-83 Vittoria Street, Birmingham, B1 3NZ
Tel: 0345 100 1122 or 0121 200 2120 Fax: 0121 212 6456